Sunday, August 15, 2010

Week 9 - The Importance of a Mission Statement

Hello and welcome to week 9! Again; I have included details on my topic from an article I wrote for www.bizymoms.com.

Your Challenge: Read the article and then write a mission statement. Please do it! You'll be amazed how much clarity you will gain and how much easier it will be to accomplish your goals.

What I'm working on: I have two mission statements. One that is short and rolls of my tongue which is 'to foster and encourage positive thought and action' and a much more detailed one in my Gallagher Solutions business plan. The short one allows me to connect with how I should act each and every minute. That doesn't mean I'm always successful but it is my focus on how I should act. Remember; missions are 'the do'. The details in my business plan helped me to create a strategy around getting from Point A, to Point B and so on. It's a map if you will that takes me step by step.




The Mission Statement By: Jenny Gallagher

If you haven’t read the article on Having a Vision then do that now because you want a vision statement first. The mission is what you will do to accomplish your vision. This is where you move from thought to action; from planning to implementation. And if you have an exciting vision then this is where it gets fun.

Mission statements tend to be more detailed. The process of creating a mission statement helps you to figure out what needs to happen. From here your next step will be to create goals and action items.

If you were to think of a funnel your purpose and vision are at the big opening at the top. Your mission statement helps you to determine what and when, and what comes out of the funnel are your results from your goals and action items. Results come from action; and you are not there yet. First plan; otherwise you may find the funnel may back up and start flowing over the edges at the top. Taking time to plan usually keeps things flowing more smoothly but of course re-adjustments may be required along the way.

Here’s how to write the mission statement:

- Think about how you would categorize your vision. Segmenting your vision into workable pieces helps you to see what needs to be done.
- For each segment begin to create a hierarchy, or in other words what needs to be done first. Do you need to purchase materials or create an infrastructure? Do you need more information or researches like people and money?
- Look at your categories. Are there pieces that can be done in the same time frame or do they need to wait for other things to be accomplished first?
- The steps under each category are your goals. Can you put time frames on the goals? If so you have also created an action item. Action items either have an end date or are ongoing tasks you need to stay up on. Either way you know when you have accomplished an action item because you can actually check it off as completed. If the ongoing action item must be completed daily, weekly, monthly, yearly then make sure you have that written down on your calendar so you remember to do it.

Now you are ready to make things happen. Take it one step at a time and re-adjust your mission, goals and actions items as you need to. Track your progress so you can feel good about your accomplishments and remember to celebrate your successes.

______________________________

Jenny Gallagher has twenty-one years of experience in the health care industry and has been in business for herself for the past eight years. Her vision is success and well-being for all who desire it and her mission is to foster and encourage positive thought and action.

Article Source: http://bizymoms.com/business


Jenny offers individual and group coaching, which is done over the phone so location is never an issue. She is a radio talk show host and The Jenny Gallagher Show Your Wellness Coach can be found on every Tuesday through Friday from noon to 1:00 eastern time.

2 comments:

  1. " BE THE CHANGE I WISH TO SEE."That was from Ghandi. And the other great one could come from 14th Dalai Lama: "EVERY BEING MUST FIND HER OWN TRUTH".
    My dear grandson, Stephen, once asked what I would like to be remembered for at the end of my life. It did not take me a minute to say:
    "she did her best"
    That is my vision statement:"To do my best each day to be a person of truth and service"
    So my vision statement would take into account all living beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking and writing about the word, "truth" as it fits in with my vision of living more simply by next summer. This weeks challenge from you is good because I have to ask myself "what do I do first"? It all seems like the vision is hard to grasp because I keep asking what I can do differently? Seems like I have arrived at that point, there is not much more to give up. Then I realize that it's not about giving up more to arrive at living simply, it's about adding to it. So, I think first, and something attainable by next week or next month, is to hold myself accountable to it. To actively seek others who have found a way, and it is never about giving anything up, but living gracefully, because maybe just realizing I am already doing it is the first step in adding to it.

    ReplyDelete