Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Week 38 - Intuition

One definition for intuition is "understanding without apparent effort" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition. You've experienced intuition when you simply 'have a feeling'. Many times we ignore these feelings; maybe because it doesn't seem logical or maybe because it doesn't seem polite. I saw a safety expert once on television showing how he could convince any child or woman into his car. Later when the individuals were asked many replied that they did not want to be rude (others believed the stranger was being helpful or kind). My point is this -- We all need to practice listening to what our intuition is telling us. Intuition is tied to instinct and yes us humans have it too. Don't ignore what took millennium to develop. This will help you to avoid real life predators but also to learn how to navigate through the multitude of choices that will come your way.

The Challenge:
Choices are a blessing and a curse. They are a blessing because when you do not have options you are limited. They are a curse because it can be a challenge deciding which path to follow. It can be all too easy to drift from choice to choice or to not be able to decide and do nothing. Today's challenge will allow you to reflect on your goal(s) and where you are with them using the mind and then intuition.

1) Think about where you are at with your goal(s) from a practical standpoint.

2) Write down what you have accomplished; and what you have not.

3) Next take a moment to close your eyes and check in to what your intuition is telling you about how you should proceed. Your logical mind may want you to continue to do the same things, especially if you have been getting good results. However sometimes a break is needed or a new approach all together.

4) Write down any new ideas that may have come to you, even if they contradict items on the previous list.

5) Consciously determine your course of action based on the items from your lists. Go with what feels right. This challenge isn't about having to make a change; but understanding that you can.

What I'm working on:

First I want to share a story with you. A few years back while living in Portland Oregon I was walking to an early morning yoga class downtown. A man started to approach and was acting very friendly. This never happened to me before but my intuition told me something was very wrong and I started running away. Thankfully too because as I started running I noticed there were his friends on each corner of the intersection and they all began running towards me. Luckily the building I was entering was right across the street and I got inside safely. Ignoring my intuition could have cost me precious moments.

The steps I listed above for you to use is something I do frequently. I tend to be task oriented and find this helps to see the forest through the trees. Also I can be easily taken off track if I think someone else is in need. Many times this is fine but on occasion it is helpful for me to regroup this way so I can get back to the bigger picture.

That's it for now. Have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. "Trust the instinct" brought to mind a first experience in wildlife rehabilitation. I was working with a very experienced person who was training me in the care of raccoons, very wild animals who were caged and just being treated, fed, housed until they were well enough to be released. I was the "helper" until the day arrived that she told me to move an adult from one cage to another. I froze in fear, hands sweaty, heart racing, standing there at the doorway of cage with raccoon cowering and snarling toward the back. I had forgotten that I had large protective gloves on my hands and that I was much bigger than the frightened creature, until Sherry's quiet voice came from behind me.
    "Trust the gloves, MaryFrances". Immediately, my head and heart cleared and I knew I had not been trusting my own "instincts". "Intuition,------- understanding without apparent effort", yep, I did it, the poor caged creature was more afraid than I was. But, I had forgotten for a moment how fear can paralyze. It was a great lesson in trusting my own intuition, one not easily forgotten.

    ReplyDelete