Saturday, April 9, 2011

Week 43 Creativity

In an article I have written for a local magazine I talk about the art and science of balance. Art is your creative expression in anything that you do. Being creative can add so much to your life; you can create beauty in your surroundings, peace, joy, happiness, love, success, transformation; the sky is the limit.

The Challenge:
1) To make sure you are accessing the right hemisphere of your brain (considered to be the creative side) first take time to doodle, draw, paint, or enjoy natural surroundings like trees, flowers, etc.
2) Now think about your goal(s) and ask yourself "What haven't I considered? This may seem like a strange question but many times a coach will ask you this question. It's kind of like packing for a vacation -- when you're done don't you ask "What did I forget?".
3) Unlike packing when you think of something you haven't considered you may not be sure how to move forward with that idea. First remember just coming up with a new idea is creative and maybe you know exactly what to do -- For example you may decide to try a yoga class after all because you've heard it can help with your wellness goals. But what if the idea that comes to you is not that defined yet? Maybe you are just deciding you want to encourage well being -- this idea can take you in many directions. In this case it's okay to be with the idea for a while. Maybe you will want to journal or talk to other people. Maybe your creativity will give you the courage to explore different possibilities. Think of yourself as a child playing; just have fun and explore.


What I'm working on:
It's time for me to work on book promotion because Yen Path: Taking Steps Towards What You Want in Life comes out on 6/1/11. I am very passionate about promoting the book and coming up with many creative ideas. My curiosity is leading me to trying unconventional methods. My publicist is doing the media promotion and I am looking for opportunities to do presentations and workshops.

As I said on Facebook the other day "People said I would never get a publisher but after a lot of No's came a yes. You only need one yes so don't let the No's scare you. Not trying is saying no to yourself. Here's to your success!"

Don't not ask for what you want because you are afraid of the no. Be curious; be a creator!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I remember once attending a workshop on balance and creativity where we were challenged to write everything that day with our non-dominant hand. That was really strange. I have since tried that approach whenever I feel stuck. Usually I don't get unstuck but it does make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete