Saturday, April 16, 2011

Week 44 - Confidence

When I observe my Chihuahua's barking when they are unsure or startled it makes me think about how us humans work around our insecurities. Maybe it's a survival technique to have a big bark to appear big when in fact we feel small, scared or unsure. If you, or someone you know tends to act like a know-it-all, prideful, cutting others down, etc. it could be that there are missed opportunities. As humans a big part of success is the support of others so we must play nice. If you are really confident you won't need to rely on your less than attractive survival techniques. Here are some ideas:

The Challenge:
1) As Steven Tyler from Aerosmith says "Fake it till you make it". You may not really feel confident but if you practice a behavior you will gain genuine confidence.
2) Understand the difference between confidence and hubris. No one likes a know-it-all or show off; a big part of real confidence is not needing to show off. In other words; relax.
3) When writing down a goal also write down the feelings you would like to have as well. For example you may want to lose weight and when you do and people notice you will put yourself down or diminish your accomplishment. Instead learn to simply say thank you for noticing. Also, it's okay to want money and nice things; it's not okay to show off and make others feel less important.

What I'm working on:
Pitching book ideas, and promoting a book certainly keeps you humble but it's important for me to promote with passion. Sometimes speaking with confidence feels like I am bragging but since I believe what I am doing will help others I need to put forth all the confidence I can muster. It's kind of fun. :)

Have a fantastic week!

1 comment:

  1. I think there was another song of Tyler's where he said "in the blink of an eye I saw the light".
    Amazing how much fun, ideas, yes, even confidence, comes from music, artists, nature.
    I watch this crazy squirrel at my bird feeder every day. No matter what I do to deter him, his "confidence" is never shaken. He is always back to assess the changes I've made. It's like I can see his little brain working as he sits there on the ground looking up at the new challenge I have created. I imagine him planning his next move and yes, he always figures it out. Darn critter, but I have to tell you, I do admire his guts.

    ReplyDelete